Sunday, June 28, 2009

Leapin' Lizards !!!



This picture is Priscilla's final project from the Spring Semester. I couldn't resist posting it !!!!

The classes are still ALIVE !!!! I am so JAZZED !!!! This is the third week of each course. I do intend to run the courses until the Dean tells me to stop. Here is what’s up in each course. Over the July 4th weekend, I will set up the Fandango for July 11. It’s coming up ever so quickly !!!!

Serging: We learned a bit about fitting a paper pattern last week. Hope you all cut your fabric and are ready to serge. BRING YOUR SERGERS TO CLASS ALONG WITH FABRIC AND MAXI LOCK SERGER THREAD. This week, we will be threading our sergers, and testing our stitches. Once you have done that, you can begin to sew up the bathrobe. We will tie on your threads to the cover stitch machine and make your belt loops. It’s easy. I will show you. AND if there is time, I will demo how to embroider one pocket. I have enough stabilizer for each serger student to embroidery one pocket with a Deco machine. I have 6 Decos so waiting will be at a minimum. If you own your own embroidery machine, feel free to embroider a pocket at home.

Basic Sewing: Last week, we fitted our nightshirt pattern. We discovered that McCall’s pulled pattern 8524 from its pattern book. Some of you, are using different patterns. BUT…they are all basic. So don’t worry. This week, we will be SERGING our open edges. Sergers will overcast the edge of your fabric so that they won’t ravel. AND the edge will lay flat. The ONLY edges that do NOT get serged are the ones that are enclosed like the neckline and neckline facing edge. The facing edge that is NOT enclosed gets serged. It’s easy. I will show you. Yes, I know, there are overcast stitches on the straight stitch sewing machines. Why are we not using them??? Because they don’t lie as flat as a true serged edge. AND I decided to take this opportunity to introduce sergers to you. They are very useful when you sew. AFTER the serging is done, I will show you how to mark your cut fabric with notches, dots, and pocket placement. All of this is done in the seam allowance.

Patternmaking: This week we will be drafting woven pants from the handout I gave you. Make sure you have taken the measurements that were listed on the handout. Last week, we draped knit leggings and traced them off onto pattern paper. Bring your curved rulers, pencils, and ultra fine sharpie markers, !!!! You will be able to see quite the difference between the two patterns when we are done.

Computerized Machine Embroidery: Last week, we learned how to work with hot-fix crystals. It was fun !!!! I think I was the only one who mixed the crystals with permanent markers. I do intend to wear my shirt on Thursday night. I hope you all wear your shirts, too.
I was asked to write the directions for using crystals with Mylar paper. I thought I should reprint this here:

To use the Mylar paper with Hot-Fix Crystals:

1. Take an image. I like to use Microsoft clip art. It should be something she likes. Print it out.
2. Scotch Tape it to a table.
3. Take the backing off the CLEAR Mylar piece. Place it sticky side up over the Microsoft clip picture.
4. Tape this down in all 4 corners.
5. Outline the clip art with the crystals. MAKE SURE.....you place the crystals right side down on the Mylar. When you think you are done, replace the backing on the Mylar.
6. Turn the Mylar over to see what you created. You can easily remove the backing and move the crystals around - until you are happy.
7. Place the t-shirt on the ironing board. Place a pressing cloth over the Mylar. PRESS without steam for about 1 minute. The Mylar will get all wrinkly. This is how you know you did it right. LET THE MYLAR
8. COOL BEFORE YOU TAKE IT OFF. The crystals will be stuck to the t-shirt.
9. When you want to wash the t-shirt....use cold water and turn the t-shirt inside out.

This week we will be doing embroidered Pocket Toppers

You will need: A shirt with a pocket on it. This should be a woven shirt. I found an appliqué teddy bear embroidery design for this. I have paw prints (from the text) and I have the teddy bear appliqué pocket topper. (REALLY COOL !) Bring a 4 inch square of appliqué fabric if you want to do the teddy bear coming out of the pocket. The school will also supply the rayon embroidery threads. Bring tear away stabilizer. We will learn about templates and we will be using the Cartesian cross. Come to class with the vertical (y axis) line basted from inside the pocket on up over your shirt pocket. Make sure this line is dead set in the middle of the pocket.

Remember to check out the right side column of the blog. I have added new embroidery sites and inspirational creative messages.

Make Money with Your Skills !

1 comment:

embroidery designs said...

Hi Joan McKenna,

Read you previos article about "
Computerized Machine Embroidery", that was cool.

But this one stress me more, in the positive and motivation way ;)