Sunday, November 1, 2009

New Mid-Semester Courses Starting !!!

Hello A-Team!!!!

I know I told some of the classes, but not all: Hollywood is making an A-Team movie with Liam Neeson as Hannibal!!!! I am so jazzed!!!! I can't wait to see this movie. I do hope….they don't make it too violent. The A-Team was all about winning…not about the violence. (They did lose once in their entire TV series. No one is perfect.) As you all know, I have made you all honorary members of this team once you have filled out a registration card for any one of my courses. AND as you all know, on this team, I play Murdock. I liked the fact that every week, they had to break him out of the insane asylum to use his services and talent. He was crazy like a fox!!!!! I have NO IDEA of what happened to the actor who played him. I do hope he is still earning a good living!!!!

I AM PUTTING THE FOLLOWING ON THE BLOG. WE ALL CAN USE A LITTLE HELP THIS HOLIDAY SEASON. The Polasky Press Newsletter, written by an A-Team member: Patti has put together some web addresses where you can get coupons. Check it out!!!! YEAH Patti!!!!

www.barginist.com www.couponcabin.com www.currentcodes.com
www.couponalbum.com www.couponmom.com www.couponheaven.com
www.deallocker.com www.groupon.com www.mycoupons.com

I am finally finding the time to blog about the classes. So much is happening!!!

Monday Night: Power Sewing has now ended. Monday Night: Basic Sewing and Serging is now resurrected in its place. BUT rest assured that my power sewers are NOT out in the cold. They still have a written exam to take on Monday night: November 2. Study the Study Guide that was in your original syllabus: pp 7 to 9. (Tip to Remember: In the study guide, I put that all industrial machines needles thread front to back. As we found out….this is NOT sew!!!! The Straight Stitch machines in 209 thread from left to right. It is only the Overlocks that thread the needles from front to back.) The title of the study section is: Things you need to know concerning the INDUSTRIAL SEWING MACHINES in room 209. The 50 questions for your exam come from these pages. Your practicum is due, too. The practicum is your industrially sewn and "stuffed" project. You need to pass both parts to receive your certification to use the industrial machines. So I KNOW I will see you all on November 2. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY EMAILS STATING THAT ANY OF YOU WILL BE ABSENT. What I plan to do is get you started on the exam, and then talk to the new sewers who are just joining our class. By the end of the evening, I want to take pictures of practicum.

Wednesday Night: Patternmaking: We are in the middle of patterning our skirts. For those of you, who feel you are too far behind to come, I have news for you…..YOU ARE NOT far behind. Trust me, in the end…..we will all be together !!!! Breathe…. And COME to CLASS !!!!!

Thursday Night: Basic Sewing and Serging: I will demo how to hand sew on beads, sequins, snaps, hooks, eyes, and trim. You need to learn this for your sewing portfolio. Come to class so that you can receive individual help with your projects. Be prepared to do the demo with me!!!! You will need a needle, thread, and a your buttonhole sample fabric. This is a sandwiched piece of fabric that has been interfaced.

Friday Afternoon: Machine Embroidery Made Easy: Learn how to multi-hoop big designs. Come join us and stitch out a multi-hooped clock. Other projects we will be doing are: a pin cushion, a quilt block, lace earrings and necklace, Christmas Ornaments, and mystery fabric. I have fabric for the Christmas Ornaments and mystery fabric for your final project. I have tear away stabilizer for the clocks. AND I have upholstery stuffing for the pin cushions. The school has embroidery threads for us to use. I have embroidery machines that you can use in class. Come and learn how to machine embroider. You can use this skill for gifts !!! AND it is fun to do !!!! Once you get good at it….you can start a home business !!!

Embroidery note: www.embseminars.com is coming to town with an embroidery seminar on Thursday, November 12, 2009. Check on "events" for more information. This is located in the left hand column. I KNOW some of the class is going to go !!!!!

See 'ya in class !!!!!!

I got a tip the other day that Bloomingdales in Fashion Valley is looking for a seamstress. Interested? Call Bloomies !!!

Don't think that the classes will be around in January if you decide not to come to classes in November and December. These free classes survive ONLY because of the class size. As most of you know, my class size is NOT where it should be. Come to class. Don't let your courses close because of being preoccupied the holidays……………….

Make Money With Your Skills !!!!!

1 comment:

Mary Tabar said...

Hi Joan,
Nice blog, I just read about you on another blog-southsewcal blog, that was a great interview-keep up the good work-your friend Mary tabar